Looking for Caramel Cake Recipe

I have been looking for a good caramel icing recipe for some time. I purchased a cookbook about Southern cakes, I think caramel cake is the ultimate South Louisiana cake. Well, I made the cake and it was an utter disaster, turns out the Southern book warns the cake should not be made on a humid day?? Umm... Southern Cakes? Southern weather- did they forget? Clearly. Quite a sticky mess, the recipe did not work- go figure in 90% humidity almost year-round. I continued my search as this particular was cake to be made only in the dessert. I gave up for a while until recently when someone brought it up over morning coffee and oh no, the obsession begun all over again.

I ran across a woman who had the recipe of the specific cake I used buy and LOVE- she had received it as a wedding gift. I asked for it, I am pretty generous with my recipes so I was hopeful. She could not share she explained since the lady that gave it to her asked her not to. OK- understood, I get it- she received it as a gift and was told not to share it, I completely respect that. So the search continues...I am a bit more obsessed with it at this point, but I think my OCD has long since been established so I'm not making excuses.

This time around, instead of posting a recipe I am actually asking for one. Specifically what I am looking for is a nice caramel icing made with brown sugar, cream, and butter. I think it usually is brought to soft ball stage then stirred until somewhat set in order to ice the cake. I have a great yellow cake recipe- just need the icing. So if anyone has the recipe proportions I would be elated to have them. Oh, almost forgot- the cake I'm looking for is a two layer cake, not like the caramel cake I have in the index. Possibly found in an old Southern cookbook or in grandmas recipe box. Also, don't waste time on google- done that to no avail already. There is a link to my email in my profile, or maybe someone will be gracious enough to leave it in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Very Moist Corn Muffins

Spicy Singapore Fried Noodles (Squid and vegetables)

Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Walnuts